Skip to content
Canadian National Multimedia Newsgroup Canadian National Multimedia Newsgroup
  • Home
  • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
  • Your Preferences
    • Editorials
    • Gastronomy
    • Health & Medicine
    • Interviews
    • Community
    • News Updates
    • Opinion
    • Podcasts & Videos
    • Politics
    • Show Biz
    • Sport
  • Contact Us
Canadian National Multimedia Newsgroup
Canadian National Multimedia Newsgroup

Wildfires in British Columbia: Premier Eby promises a new approach to changing fires

Marzio Pelù, August 13, 2026August 13, 2026

PENTICTON (British Columbia) – Adapting the response to wildfires to reflect their changing characteristics: this is the commitment made by British Columbia Premier David Eby during his visit on Wednesday to areas devastated by wildfires in the Okanagan region.

“It has been very moving to visit Penticton for myself, meeting all of the incredible volunteers, all of the remarkable wildfire fighters, and the local leaders who have responded in this time of crisis for the community,” Eby said. He recalled the woman from Meadow Valley, near Summerland, who died during the evacuation, expressing his condolences to the victim’s family and friends and to “all the people who have lost so much in this horrific fire.”

Thousands of people are still unable to return to their homes because of the Bald Range wildfire, which broke out about a week ago and spread with unprecedented speed. Several homes have been destroyed by the flames, and it is still unclear when residents will be allowed to return.

“The stories that I heard were very consistent, and they were around the speed of this horrific fire, from the wildfire service perspective, that it overran their modeling, and how quickly they had to pivot from what they call initial attack, where they show up to respond to a fire that’s been reported to just providing notice, getting people out as quickly as possible, knocking on doors, dropping the buckets and just using the helicopters to get people lifted out of the area,” Eby said.

“From the local leadership perspective, anticipating an event that would require an evacuation alert and then an actual evacuation was not a luxury that they had; this happened immediately.” he added.

The premier also added that the provincial government recognizes that, at first, the massive influx of people into reception centres created a difficult situation and that services were not prepared to handle such a large number of evacuees. However, he stressed that important lessons had been learned from the experience, particularly regarding wildfire response.

“We’ll bring together the experts on local government that have lived through it, that saw it, that saw how it could be better, that are hearing from their constituents about how it could be better and then we’ll implement that for the next time – Eby said – because the reality is in terms of the drought conditions we face, the temperatures we’re seeing over the summers … I mean, this is very unlikely to be the last significant fire we see this summer and certainly we are going to see significant fires in summers to come. So each time we want to get better at what we do, saving lives, preserving structures and minimizing friction for people who need to access emergency response.”

Responding to a question from a reporter from the Penticton Herald about the need to make alternative escape routes accessible in the event of a wildfire, Premier Eby confirmed that “there is significant demand across the province for additional roads, secondary egress, and so we’ll work with the local community here and the Ministry of Transportation in terms of prioritization.”

At the time of writing, real-time figures from the BC Wildfire Service (here) reported 111 active wildfires in British Columbia, 50 of which were classified as out of control.

In the pic above, Premier David Eby thanking BC Wildfire Service personnel in Penticton (screenshot from a video posted on the X profile @Dave_Eby)

Wildfires in British Columbia: lightning and human activity among the main causes

VICTORIA – Wildfires are a frequent occurrence in Canada and, in particular, in British Columbia. But what causes these fires, which are so numerous and often devastating? According to data from the BC Wildfire Service, approximately 60% of wildfires are caused by lightning, while the remaining 40% are linked to human activity.

Most wildfires in the province are therefore sparked by lightning. When an electrical discharge strikes a tree or another flammable material, it can generate enough heat to ignite it.

“Although lightning caused fires cannot be prevented – the BC Wildfire Service explains, here – there are ways of predicting where they might start. The risk from natural fires can also be reduced with fuel management and prescribed burning.”

A significant proportion of wildfires, however, are caused by human activity. Unlike those triggered by natural phenomena, these fires are often preventable. The causes can vary and include open burning, the use of vehicles and engines, industrial activities, fireworks and sky lanterns. Even something as simple as throwing a lit cigarette on the ground can start a devastating wildfire. In some cases, fires are deliberately set, in which case they are considered arson.

Determining the origin of a wildfire is not always easy. Specialists with the BC Wildfire Service conduct detailed investigations to establish how and where a fire started, examining a number of factors, including possible ignition sources, burn patterns, physical evidence found at the site and weather conditions recorded before the fire.

When a wildfire is determined to have been caused by human activity, authorities also investigate whether any regulations have been violated. Anyone who causes a wildfire through illegal activities may be held responsible for the costs of firefighting operations, damage to forests and other natural resources, possible fines, and reforestation costs.

The graph above is taken from the BC Wildfire Service Facebook page

Canada English Featured News Updates Politics The Environment

Post navigation

Previous post
Next post

Related Posts

Character, Program and Money

June 6, 2023August 25, 2023

…

Read More
Canada

CORRIERE CANADESE / A 101 anni tra il presepe e il Corriere Canadese

December 23, 2025

…

Read More

HCDSB at the cusp of “transformation”, who is in charge of Religion?

April 17, 2021August 25, 2023

…

Read More

Latest Articles

  • CORRIERE CANADESE / Il costo della vita torna a correre August 18, 2026
  • CORRIERE CANADESE / Incendi in B.C. : iniziato il rientro degli evacuati, ma per molti la casa non c’è più August 18, 2026
  • CORRIERE CANADESE / OCSTA (Lazarus) wakes up and rejects governance proposal August 18, 2026
  • CORRIERE CANADESE / OCSTA si sveglia e boccia la riforma scolastica August 18, 2026
  • Incendies en C.-B. : les évacués commencent à rentrer, mais beaucoup n’ont plus de maison où retourner August 17, 2026

Search Articles by Date

August 2026
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  
« Jul    

Our Sponsors

Lido Construction Pascale_Di_Poce
©2026 Canadian National Multimedia Newsgroup | WordPress Theme by SuperbThemes